Investment Income Update – Dec 15th 2013

The Investment Income tab on my blog has been updated here as of December 15th 2013.  This page outlines my portfolio of investments and the income they generate on a yearly and average monthly basis.  Also included is a chart with a historical look at my investment income since October 15th 2003.

I update the spreadsheets for my net worth and investment income on the 15th of each month. I have been doing this since at least October 2003.  The 15th originally worked better for me because my bills and payments have always been due on the last or first day of the month.  I have continued to use the 15th of the month because it provides a better snapshot of my numbers, and usually my financial life is slower mid-month which gives me time to compile the data. One downside to updating on the 15th is that I need to do one extra per year on January 1st to track my annual net worth, income, and investment performance. So you’ll likely see another update in two weeks.

Purchases 11/16/13 - 12/15/13

CVX                                         $77.49 (reinvested)
 EMR                                         $38.48 (reinvested)
 MAT                                         $14.40
Total Dividends Received                    $146.29

Forward Yearly Income                      $3822.55
Forward Avg Monthly Income                  $318.55

The $2090.16 in new working capital, plus an increase in cash savings this month, has increased my yearly forward income to $3822.55, an average of $318.55 per month.  This number is a $141.39 and 3.84% increase over November 2013, and a $739.88 and 24.0% increase year over year.  I consider the $3822.55 number the most important because it is how much money I would receive though investment income if I stopped working today.

This month, I continued my dripping into both CLX and CAT. CLX I still believe CLX is getting a little ahead of itself now at $93.25, so I cut back my monthly drip to $100. Computershare allows me to invest $50 twice a month, so I am utilizing that functionality to dollar cost average even more effectively. The extra $100 I took away from CLX went to CSX this month, and I will continue to add $100 to CSX for a few years. I am quite happy with the Broadridge web site for dripping into CSX, and I hope to get up a blog post to review it sometime soon.

I also picked up another 40 shares of dividend aristocrat HCP in my taxable TD Ameritrade account. The price dipped into the low $37’s at which point I made the purchase, only to watch it fall below $37 that day. I am looking to pick up some more, another 20-40 shares, if the price stays under $36, averaging down my cost. I usually try to buy a position in four separate purchases, so I may do one more if the stock continues to fall further. I believe the fundamentals are solid and this is a simply a difficult stock environment for REITs, but I do not think the tapering will impact them significantly.

The upcoming month should be a busy one with the holidays, and it is a busy one for me at work. I’ll have another post near January 1st to go over my annual performance, and also I am working on some goal setting for 2014, something I have not done in the past with my investments.

Thanks as always for reading and looking at my portfolio. I welcome comments here or you can email me directly at RetireBeforeDad at yahoo dot com.

Disclosure: Long all stocks mentioned in this post.

14 Responses to Investment Income Update – Dec 15th 2013

1. JC @ Passive-Income-Pursuit December 15, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

$3800+ is a nice chunk of change. Especially since it’s over $300 per month! Congrats on that! I just checked and I’m short of $300 per month by about $0.43. One more purchase ought to fix that. Keep up the good work and enjoy the holidays!

• retirebeforedad December 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Thanks JC. $300 feels good, but $400 would feel much better! Should be able to hit that next year, but when I work out my goals I want to see how realistic it is go even higher. Have a great week.

2. Green Money Stream December 15, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

You’re annual investment income is looking great. I’m always working on increasing mine, hopefully will see a bit more progress in 2014. I know my dividend income is starting out slow but will just grow quicker as I continue to add investments in the coming years.

• retirebeforedad December 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

Thanks GMS. Next year I’m hoping to have some decent goals. All years past I haven’t really had my eye on a number to reach. This new year I’m hoping to put down some 1, 5, and 10 year goals to keep me focused. We’ll see how that goes as situations change. Its a long slow ride to FF.

3. Fast Weekly December 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

Looking good RBD. It’s all about quality stocks for the long run. Good job on your progress and thanks for your support, I really appreciate it. If you have any friends or acquaintances that need some help with ideas or getting their businesses off the ground, keep me in mind. Have a great week
    -Bryan

• retirebeforedad December 15, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

FW…..Thanks, and yeah I’ll keep my eyes and ears open for BD. Good luck with your business.

4. Dividend Mantra December 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

RBD,

Nice! Over $300 per month in passive income is awesome. When I first started this journey I was giddy over just hitting the $100/mo mark. I thought of all the things that could pay for: my monthly fuel bill, my cell phone bill (and then some), or just a significant portion of my food. You’re at three times that. Keep it up!

Best wishes.

• retirebeforedad December 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Mantra,
      Thanks, yeah I am excited about $300 per month. $400/month and $5000 per year are the next big milestones. We’ll see, next year I’ll be increasing my Roth so that will take away from the taxable. $5000 may be a stretch, but gotta set the goals high.

5. writing2reality December 15, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

Nice job RBD! Making progress for sure! A quiet difference maker is the $23 per month of increase in the Lending Club dollars. A year from now you will be in great shape as it really starts to snowball.

I like the $5,000/$400 as goals, but think you won’t have too much difficulty in achieving them in 2014. After a good mid-year review, don’t be afraid to push higher! Of the less than $1,200 needed to hit $5,000, your Lending Club will provide almost 25% of that. Reach for the stars!

• retirebeforedad December 16, 2013 at 9:34 am #

WYOR,
      I haven’t run the numbers yet on my 2014 goals so I may go bigger than $5000. LC has certainly helped my cause. I should about double my LC account next year at least, so that will contribute nicely. Dividend increases should help a lot too. We’ll see when I run the numbers, hopefully this week.

6. CI December 16, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Looks good. Must say I’m interested in HCP at the moment as well. If it’s still cheap next month I’ll likely initiate a position. I also do deposits around the 15th since the bulk of my bills are due on the 1st! I’ve been doing reviews the last day of the month which is nice because it captures all dividends and makes future reference very easy. The down side is that it’s not flexible and doesn’t always fit my schedule. I have to set aside time and have yet to miss one in two years!

My dad semi-retired in his early 50’s. FI is certainly possible if you want it bad enough.

Take care!

• retirebeforedad December 17, 2013 at 6:51 am #

CI,
      Cool to hear your Dad retired semi-early. Mine reached a normal retirement age, for a teacher I think. He’s having a blast being retired and doesn’t miss work at all.
      HCP is solid and on sale. I was tempted yesterday, but I like to buy on a down day. We’ll see how the rest of the year pans out or REITs.

7. impersonalfinanceroboto December 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Awesome passive income here. I might have missed it, and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want, but can I ask why the dividends from MAT weren’t reinvested? And I agree with you about CSX. Thanks for sharing!

• retirebeforedad December 17, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Mr. Roboto,
      Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad you asked this question. I hold MAT in my TD Ameritrade account which doesn’t make it easy to reinvest dividends. All the other holdings listed here are with Computershare and Broadridge, who are the transfer agents for owning the stocks directly. Those accounts encourage dividend reinvestment and do it automatically. I try to open accounts through these plans when possible. However sometimes they do not allow direct investment, so you need to own 1 share before you can join. Or, sometimes their fees are too high (fees vary between plans). Usually its just easier to buy through my TD Ameritrade account and I can be more nimble. In MAT’s case, I thought the price was too good to pass up, AND the fees are too high at Computershare (See link below) at $2.50 for an ongoing investment for this particular stock. So I bought it in my Ameritrade account.

Comments Welcome!